Monday, January 9, 2012

Lydia and her birth day




So, now that Lydia is 4 months old today, I guess it's about time to write about her birth day.

Having had a c-section with Amelia because she was breech, I knew it was almost certain that I would have another c-section with this one. Well, Lydia was breech as well, so I knew that I would be facing another surgery.

While my c-section with Amelia went well, it was still a little traumatic. I had pre-eclampsia and was at work when my blood pressure spiked, so her delivery was last minute and unexpected. I was on Mag Sulfate (ie feel like your are totally drunk) and already felt woozy and lightheaded when they wheeled me into surgery. Although the c-section was without complications, I struggled with dizziness, nausea, and lots and lots of anxiety throughout the entire thing. To the point where, when Amelia was born, I wasn't even able to look at her because I was so panicked. So, knowing that, once again, I would be awake during a major abdominal surgery, had me very worried.

Early on Jason and I talked about my fears and what we wanted for this delivery. Peace and Joy. I wanted to be able to be present in the moment and enjoy meeting my daughter versus being wracked with anxiety and fear. And you know what? That's what God wanted for me too. So, for months, that was our prayer, and the prayer that we asked literally everyone we knew to pray... that her delivery would be one of peace and joy. That the right hospital staff would be in the right place at the right time. And, of course, for health and safety for both mom and baby.

When we got to the hospital at 4am and got to my room for my pre-op prep Jason put worship music on in the background. Then he began reading to me from scriptures that he had chosen just for this occasion. They were verses that spoke of peace and joy and faith and the absence of fear. These scriptures went into the pocket of his scrubs and accompanied us into the operating room. We had some alone time before they wheeled me into surgery and we were able to pray together for myself, the baby, and the staff that would be attending us. Then, as soon as we entered the operating room Jason began reading the verses to me and didn't stop until our baby was born. It was amazing to feel my fear slip away and be replaced with the Lord's strength. And, at the same time, our faith was witnessed by the operating room staff. It was a special moment when the anesthesia assistant leaned over and asked, "Are you reading scripture? Are you born again Christians? I am too!"

I can tell you that I have never experienced peace like the peace I had that day. Truly the peace that passes all understanding. God's presence was felt in that operating room. The Lord took away my fear and anxiety and replaced them with a joy that I have never felt before. Afterwards I actually said, "Wow, that was relaxing." Even the anesthesiologist remarked that I had no anxiety.

And then we got to meet our perfect black haired beauty. I was able to enjoy her first moments and her precious newness. Then (unlike Amelia who was in the Level 2 nursery for 4 days) as soon as I got back to my room to recover they put her on my chest and we were able to get to know each other.





Lydia Elaine Gebbink 9.9.11 8:10am 7lb 9oz

To God be the glory for Lydia's precious birth day. A day that changed our lives in more ways that just her birth. A day that our faith was strengthened and we tangibly felt the Lord answer our prayers.

Philippians 4:6-7 – “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (NLT)

2 Cor. 12:9 - “My grace is enough; it is all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become!” (NLT)

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Josh. 1:9

“I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.” Ps. 34.4

No comments:

Post a Comment