Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mary, mother of Jesus= Super mom

During this Christmas season, I have been reflecting on Mary and her vital role as Jesus's mommy. I am often awestruck and honored that I have been chosed to be Amelia's mommy. Can you imagine what Mary felt? Chosen to birth the Savior of the world? Although, I have to think that she probably wasn't initially thrilled and thankful. She probably did a lot of 'why me God' and 'it's not fair'. Can you imagine the stigma and judgement she felt, and what people thought of her? Unwed Jewish girl, randomly preggo... Yet, the Lord was blessing her. Somedays I feel like Mary. Asking 'why God' and whining 'it's not fair', when, in truth, the Lord is blessing me. It may not always be according to my plan or the way that I would have had things go, but He is blessing me all the same. And, as Christians, we will be judged and there will be a stigma, yet we are living our lives for the Lord and not the world.

I also remember back 15 months ago when I was 9 months pregnant with Amelia and felt as big as a house, waddling, couldn't bend down, couldn't see my feet, etc... and I remember thinking "Oh my gosh, Mary rode on a DONKEY when she was THIS SIZE". What a super mom! If Jason would have asked me to get on a donkey and travel around the block at 9 months pregnant I would have laughed in his face... nevertheless to another city. She trusted Joseph and the Lord for her safety and comfort. Do I have that much faith?

So I think of all that Mary sacrificed for that baby... and in turn, the world- and ME. I'm thankful that God chose such a strong, courageous woman (and also a noble and brave man)to be the parents of our Savior. My challenge is, in my daily struggles and strifes (i.e. fighting frustration, lack of patience, and peas being flung across the kitchen) that I, also, would be able to be strong and courageous and the mother that God chose me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment