Friday, December 18, 2009

Make it Mother's Day everyday!

In the past week or so Amelia has REALLY learned to be a good walker. She is standing up on her own without holding onto anything, and, as soon as she is vertical, she's off! Therefore, I have quickly become a mother of a toddler. It is incredible how this milestone has changed my view of parenting. My once content, laid back child is now quickly traveling around the house exploring. She is relishing this newfound independence and exercising her 'freedom' for all it's worth. She has opinions and desires and she enjoys expressing them- which equals spontaneous tears and tantrums several times a day. This leaves a tired, stressed out mommy in her wake. I imagine she's a little confused... for so many weeks we have been encouraging her to walk and take as many steps as she can. We try not to hold her and encourage her to walk on her own. Then, the second we get out in public, we refuse to let her down and won't let her walk on her own. I feel like I am constantly saying, "No, don't unroll the toilet paper. No, don't eat the dog food. No, don't flush the toilet. No, don't empty the pantry. No No NO!" I find myself wondering if I will ever take a peaceful shower again? I realize that I was not prepared for this new phase of life.

I am currently enjoying reading "I was a really great mom before I had kids". I will admit that, when I was childless, I was "That Person" who looked at the kid throwing the fit in the cereal aisle and said to myself, "That will never be my child." Well, tonight my child was the one who threw a fit in the line at our family member's visitation, right as we were approaching the casket. Yup, it's my turn. So, in this new season of learning and frustration, I admit that I feel like I'm struggling. And I have to wonder, how many of us mommies struggle every day? How many of us would benefit from someone saying, "Even on your most frustrating of days, you are an awesome mom and are making a difference in your little ones' lives!".

THEREFORE, my challenge to myself and all of you... once a week encourage another mom. We are the only ones who know what a tough job we have. Let's lift each other up! So, once a week send a note, email, text, whatever to another mom telling her that she is doing a great job. I promise, it will make all the difference in the world and just might be what she needs that day. Let yourself be used by the Lord to bless someone else... don't just save it for Mother's Day! Let's appreciate each other everyday!

2 comments:

  1. Jess,
    These times are normal as Amelia tests her new found bondaries and your limits. She will learn with your love and patience what is right and wrong. Mostly that she is a loved deeply by parents who care..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is a wonderful reminder and encouragement to me. Thanks for your insight. Motherhood is truly something you cannot understand until you experience it. I too have judged other families in the past only to have my turn roll around. Hope your family is enjoying getting ready for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete