Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Great is Thy Faithfulness...

I think one of God's main lessons throughout our current journey is to teach me the meaning of faith. Up until now, God and I have pretty much agreed on my life's path... the schools I went to, the jobs and internships I've had, when I got married, when I had a baby, the different positions I've held, etc. Many many prayers have been answered, we have been very blessed, and God and I have pretty much been on the same page... which doesn't do much for building faith. I will admit that I am pretty 'type A' and like to know what I'm doing when. I have backup plans for my backup plans and have things planned out months in advance... also not great for building faith. So, essentially God has pulled the rug out from under me. I fought it for awhile- still trying to have things my way and achieve the expectations I had created for my life (mainly my role as a full time working mom) but I still wasn't relying on Him. When I finally made the decision to quit my job and commute with Jason to Chicago, I realized that I could no longer rely on myself and my carefully laid plans. That now, I had no choice other than to REST in the fact that the Lord knows what's best for me. He knows where we will live, He knows who our friends will be, He knows what will happen from one day to the next and it will be GOOD. So, I've thrown my expectations to the wind. I don't even like to think about the future at this point. Instead, I am RESTING in the FREEDOM that comes with knowing that I don't have to be in control- and isn't it a blessing that Someone else is? As Christians aren't we so lucky that we don't have to worry about our future and our needs! We have a loving God that does everything for the good. Philippians 4:6-7 Don't worry about anything, but pray about everything. With thankful hearts offer up your prayers and requests to God. Then, because you belong to Christ Jesus, God will bless you with peace that no one can completely understand (amen!). And this peace will control the way you think and feel.
I almost compare it to floating on your back in the water. Logically water should not hold you. Logically, we should carry around platforms or rafts or something, because, in our minds, water should not be able to hold us up. But it does... only if you completely relax and completely remove your legs from the bottom of the pool and lay back and REST will the water support you. Sustain you. That is the definition of faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment