Monday, January 4, 2010

Learning...


It amazes me how someone so small and innocent can teach me/us so much. Amelia is constantly teaching us about the world around her and helping us to learn important lessons. She wakes up and greets each morning with an enthusiastic "HI!". I think she's just thrilled to be alive and awake and ready to embrace the day. This is a great reminder to me when I am struggling to drag my bum out of bed.
She is continually bringing joy to other people... whether we are on a walk or at the grocery store she is a social butterfly and acknowledges just about everyone with a smile and a wave. And, ya know, everyone smiles back. Just think of what a nicer world this would be if we would smile at more people :-)
It doesn't take flashy toys or the latest and greatest gizmo to enthrall her. She is so perfectly content with an empty lotion container, measuring spoons, and a water bottle cap. I pray that she will always be so un-materialistic, and that I can be more like her with my wants and desires.
The biggest and most impacting lesson Amelia has taught us is her unconditional love for everyone. The homeless men on the street and the people around us who might not be the most 'well kept' get the very biggest smiles from her. These are the same people that my own sin-nature tells me to ignore. Yet, she sees through their smell and grime and sees them as just another person... another child of God. Thankfully she is the one teaching ME!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jessica, what a blessing to read your post and see how God is working in your life and your family. We have a mighty and faithful God who knows what our future is even when we don't. Excited for you to get to be with your husband more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. this is tera (faith) laffin :)

    ReplyDelete