Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Bloom where you are planted...


So last weekend (thanks to both of our parents for watching Amelia!) we packed up 50% of our 'stuff' and did a partial move to McHenry, IL where Jason has been living since August. We're still not quite sure what we are doing with our Bloomington house (renting vs. selling)so our furniture, etc. is going to stay put for a little while.
As I've written about before, throughout this process I've been mostly concerned with developing a support system and friends in this northern foreign land. I think it's so hard for women to make friends sometimes. It's almost like dating... You see someone you think you might get along well with, maybe exchange emails or do a 'group activity', and possibly become Facebook friends :-). After several group get togethers you might get up the nerve to exchange phone numbers and do coffee (a one-on-one!). Finally you take the plunge and have them over for dinner... and friendship is achieved!
So, I did what any good problem solver does and conducted research! I found a McHenry Moms Group (MMG) online that has gobs of activities and lots of members. Perfect, I thought! I signed up, got my welcome email and was good to go. Monday (Day 1) was the first event that I signed up for at an indoor playground. There was only one other mom there, and she was 37 weeks preggo so her hubby was with her. She was nice enough, but it wasn't the mom-bonding experience I had hoped for. Tuesday (Day 2) I woke up to a MMG email announcing a Bible Study that was at 9am that morning! A sign from God indeed! I threw Amelia into some relatively clean clothes (since we are living out of boxes) and dug out my Bible (since we are living out of boxes :-). As I pulled into the church I was thrilled that I was on the right track and had visions of Christian moms supporting one another dancing in my head. As I walked in, my eyes honestly filled with tears when I saw there were mostly 70+ year olds around the table, and a sprinkling of moms of grade school kids. Lord, where were the young moms I had prayed for? They were so nice and welcoming and I know God put me there for a reason, but I did leave that group feeling a little let down. The moms there also said that the MMG I had excitedly joined didn't have many Christian members, and religion was a 'taboo' topic. Great. I knew that this process would be hard, but I didn't know it would be so painful. My MOMS group at home has always been such an incredible blessing to me, so I'm looking for those close friendships here. Now, I know I'm being a little irrational expecting a strong friendship within my first 2 days... but God does work miracles, right?

The day before we moved, Jason bought me a necklace with a large stone on it to remind us that the Lord is our rock and will get us through this time. As I was driving home disappointed, I looked at that necklace and really thought, "What does that mean... He is my rock. What does that look like?" I am a very literal person and was really struggling with what God will 'do' to be a rock for me. And then I remembered my earlier struggle back in January when I didn't really know what it meant to have faith... and God showed me that in a BIG way. And so I have been praying for God to teach me to rely on Him and show me what it means to be our rock.

On day 3 God began to give me a glimpse when I got an early morning phone call from incredible friends and they generously invited me to join them for shopping at Ikea. The Lord provided for my need in a way that I had not even expected. He knows my heart and He is caring for me.

So, to make a long story short, I am absolutely LOVING being a stay at home mommy. I am soaking up every moment with Amelia, knowing how many I have already missed out on. Like I have told some of you, I feel like I have to learn to be a parent all over again. I was only a parent between the hours of 5-7pm and shared a weekend shift. There are all kinds of things I'm catching up on. But our time together has been incredible and I'm SO THANKFUL that I am blessed to be able to be with her everyday. It truly is a treasure and a privilege! I will go back to that Bible Study next Tuesday. I figure, they definitely have some wisdom that I may need to borrow... and studying the Bible can't hurt either :-) You never know why God puts you in the places that you are. As for getting involved, I'm just going to continue to pray for doors to be opened and the right friends to cross my path. Like a good friend told me, "Ya just gotta keep trying and bloom where you're planted..."

P.S. Totally wish I could get the Michael W. Smith song "Friends are Friends Forever" outta my head!!!

Playing Beauty Shop... I LOVE it that this is my new agenda!!

No comments:

Post a Comment